Thoughts so far …
1) I think that Rowdy Gaines might be my Olympic spirit animal. He’s a commentator for swimming, and the one that you can usually hear incoherently screaming towards the end of every race, because he just gets into it. He just may love the Olympics more than I do.
2) Just kidding, Leslie Jones is most definitely my Olympic spirit animal. Or maybe just my general spirit animal. In another life – she’s living my dream: SNL career and a love for the Olympics that earned her a free ride to Rio courtesy of NBC? Yes, please!
3) The Refugee Olympic Team is especially inspiring, on account of its debut and recent global events. Looking forward to seeing more of this team compete in the coming days.
4) Those Proctor & Gamble “Thanks, Mom” commercials are, um, doing me in. I should probably be keeping a box of tissues near the TV, just in case one comes on. The other day, after a particularly moving one, Kyle turned to me and said, “What if our kid is an Olympian?” (He/she will give all their thanks to Mom, right?)
5) American female gymnasts have just KILLED IT. They’ve been particularly fun to watch this year as they are SO DANG STRONG, and they fly so high.
6) Men’s volleyball is still one of my favorite sports to watch. The power! The hops! Those digs! The blocks! It’s incredible. Glad Team USA has gotten their act together.
7) SO MUCH track and field goodness yet to come – here’s looking at you and your decathlon, Ashton Eaton!
8) Feeling a bit heartbroken about beach volleyball – after two tough losses by both the American women and men. BUT! I think it’s super amazing that both Brazilian teams are still in it – and I’m officially rooting for team Brasil for gold.
Just a few more days of Olympic glory, people!!