I’ve been feeling unimpressed with January and all of its cold, sickness, post-holidays, spring-is-still-so-far-away blah that I decided I needed a little pick me up. So today’s musings are a random account of what is good these days over in my neck of the woods.
- These blueberry muffins from Ina, because I was craving comfort food and an excuse to turn on the oven today. I bypassed the streusel topping because I was low on time, but they are still delicious without it.
- I deep conditioned my hair for the first time and I’m hooked. I’ve always had fairly fine hair (but a lot of it), but in recent months I’ve been noticing that it has seemed rather dull and dry. This, coupled with some funky postpartum growth areas has left me with more bad hair days than good ones. I’m not sure if the dryness and dullness are related to hormonal changes as well, but either way: the deep conditioning was fabulous! I used this one on the recommendation from this blogger and found my hair to be significantly softer and shinier after just one use. I think I’ll plan to make this a part of my weekly shower routine.
- Despite my best wellness efforts, we’ve had a variety of sickness move through our house. It was a stomach bug before Christmas, an upper respiratory virus after Christmas (thankfully not influenza), and just a general snotty, coughy cold last week. But today, we are all healthy and well!
- A good quote from the good prophet, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., in honor of his birthday: I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can’t agree with your methods of direct action;” who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a “more convenient season.”
- I updated my freezer inventory last week. I always like a good reorganization, and it was timely because we had our third installment of the Freezer Meal Swap last week, so I needed to get a better handle on what we had. We also got in our annual half hog in December from our Wisconsin farmer friends, and I needed to inventory those cuts. Things are well-stocked and dinner has been easy these last few days!
- I’m a flosser now. This isn’t new this week, it’s actually new as of this past summer when I went to the dentist and did NOT receive a clean bill of health. I took that oral hygeine shame and turned it into motivation to floss daily, and I’m happy to say my work is paying off! And of course, the other good news of a dentist visit is that I now have 6 whole months before I have to go again.
- Yesterday’s snow was just beautiful! It felt like I was living in a snow globe most of the day, which was magical. I got out for a short (so very short) ski, we pulled Eamon in his sled over to the neighbors to watch the game, and even today I’m still enjoying the snow as everything is glittery and white.
- That Vikings victory. I’m no NFL fan really, but boy was that exciting to watch!
Hoping this week starts off well for you and that you have many good things surrounding you!